Mission10forty is an international NGO registered in Denmark and Ukraine,with humanitarian programmes in Ukraine, Armenia, Karabakh, Afghanistan and North Korea. We operate in hard-to reach areas, providing humanitarian assistance to especially vulnerable population groups. We have a reputation for reaching beneficiaries not reached by other organisations.
We are and/or have been funded by a range of Danish and international donors, including a large number of private and public donors in Denmark and Germany, including private foundations and corporates. Other programmes outside Ukraine include rehabilitation projects in Armenia and Karabakh, and targeted assistance of vulnerable children in Afghanistan and North Korea.
Mission10forty has a range of dedicated humanitarian staff and professional volunteers, working out of the Denmark base, engaged in our operations in Armenia, Ukraine and Afghanistan.
Founder Dr Kim Hartzner is a medical doctor who originally set up the international NGO Mission East in 1991, and later set up Mission10forty in 2021. As the 60th NGO in Europe, Kim Hartzner established the basis for a Framework Partnership Agreement with ECHO in November 1993.
Following large numbers of relief missions to Russia, Ukraine and other Eastern European countries, Dr Hartzner established the first major country programme in Armenia in 1992. He then spearheaded almost all country programmes and all major funding mechanisms, including major Danish and international foundations, ECHO, the Danish and Dutch Ministries of Foreign Affairs, USAID, UNICEF, and substantial private funding based on foundations, churches and individuals in Denmark and other countries, notably Germany and Switzerland.
Through Mission10forty, Dr. Hartzner re-engaged in Ukraine the day after the outbreak of the war, on February 25, 2022. Since then, Mission10forty has provided food assistance to 130,000 vulnerable people, mainly in the south-eastern town of Mykolayiv, working through local partners. Food distributions were funded by a range of private donors, including corporates, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Faroe Islands.
From July 2022 large scale water projects were started, first with private funding, later with funding from IOM (International Organization of Migration), totalling 12 water systems installed in schools and kindergartens in Mykolayiv, servicing vulnerable population groups in their neighbourhoods. Currently, negotiations are underway to implement a large-scale water project, establishing water systems in frontline village communities of Mykolayiv and Kherson oblasts, also with IOM funding. Further plans include the establishing of secure bomb shelters in Mykolayiv school institutions.
Country Director and Project Manager is based at Mission10forty Ukraine country office in Lviv and will report to the Managing Director of Mission10forty.
The Country Director and Project Manager is accountable for planning and allocating resources, preparing budgets, monitoring progress, and keeping stakeholders informed throughout the project lifecycle.
Key responsibilities will include resource and work planning, budget management, reporting, systems and tool development, and team and client management.
· Follow up on project implementation, including revision of targets against achievements and identifying gaps in response to define needed adjustments in the implementation.
· Update and maintain Mission10forty country strategy, identifying trends and developments, new areas of project involvement, and new donors to support strategic direction.
· Support management of back-donor funded projects through quality assurance of narrative and financial reporting on projects and in general ensure compliance with the requirements of the back donors and participation in monitoring of back-donor funded project.
· Prepare and submit concept notes and full proposals on development interventions and relief operations in close cooperation with programme team and partners.
· Facilitate back-donor visits, monitoring teams and evaluations, audits in collaboration with respective program officers, procurement offices and finance team.
· Contribute to regular, timely and quality reporting of the Mission 10forty Office to various stakeholders.
· Oversee country and programme finance and budget management, including tracking of financial and material resources and provision of accurate and timely financial reports and ensuring that projects and the country programme are managed to agreed budgets.
· Ensure compliance with all Mission10forty Ukraine administrative and financial procedures and policies, as well as applicable donor regulations.
· Approve program expenditures, budget adjustments, and budget amendment requests to donors.
To participate in
· Participate in participation in all coordination meetings and relevant Working Groups, relevant networks, especially in reference to fund raising.
· Back-donor meetings, workshops
To contribute to
· Mission10forty’s institutional learning through sharing of best practises, experiences, reflections, and new initiatives with colleagues
· On basis of needs and capacities of partners and together with Mission10forty program team to draw up a funding plan of action across various programs under Mission10forty Office at the beginning of the year.
· Develop and regularly update data bank on submitted, running and proposed back-donor funded projects for Ukraine.
· Identifying relevant back-donor call for proposals that fit with Mission10forty program types and facilitate initial discussion on the calls with partners in collaboration with the respective program officers and the Office Manager
· Facilitate development of concept notes in line with the call objectives as well as respective Mission10forty program types together with respective program officer and partner
· Facilitate development of the full proposal in close collaboration with possible partners, as well as the Mission10forty Program Team: Office Manager and Field Co-ordinator
· Facilitate kick-off workshops for approved back-donor funded projects along with the respective program officer as well as with finance officer.
· In cooperation with the program officer to ensure project cycle management, regular project monitoring, reviews, evaluation and development of action plans for all back-donor funded projects.
· Write/compile back-donor project partner visit reports, training reports, project review and evaluation reports, audit reports and upload them in the relevant intranet folders.
· Ensure proper communication with respective back-donors in case of requirements under the contractual agreements relating to finance, procurements, visibility, reporting as well as their approval in case of any changes in the project design, action plans or finance.
· Paticipate in organisational assessment of potential partners to determine their capacity for handling back donor funding.
· Visit project sites on a regular basis and support good practice in community liaison and participatory development methodologies appropriate to Mission10forty context.
· Participate in relevant networks.
· Contribute to establish and maintain good relations with International Donors.
· Contribute to regular reporting of the Mission10forty Ukraine Office and HQ for various stakeholders.
· Educational background / postgraduate degree in social sciences or similar relevant field.
· At least 3 years of experience managing projects funded by international agencies including fundraising and project cycle management.
· Woking experience with projects funded by European and other global back donors.
· Proficiency in international development NGO, donor governments, and UN agency regulations, procurement procedures and contract compliance.
· Strong analytical and negotiations skills
· Strong coordination skills
· Ability and willingness to work in team.
· Good writing skills
· Strong commitment to basic values and mission of Mission10forty and the overall objectives of Mission10forty Ukraine Office.
· Strong interpersonal communication skills
· Ability and willingness to work with people of different backgrounds.
· Contribute constructively to a working environment based on mutual respect and trust.
· Ability to cope with stress and work under difficult circumstances.
· Good skills in capacity building and working with a partnership approach.
· Be flexible, self-motivating and able to organise work independently as well as be willing and able to work as part of team.
· EDP/IT skills at an advanced user level
· Experience from development or humanitarian aid sector an advantage
· Willingness to travel extensively in Ukraine.
· Driving licence.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
· 6-month contract with possibility of renewal to 1 year contract.
· 3-month probationary period.
SALARY AND PACKAGE
Competitive salary and package in accordance with candidate’s experience.
For the duration of the contract, you will be provided accommodation by Mission10forty in Lviv, Ukraine.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants can send only their CV including education, qualifications, contact number and relevant documents by email, to address:
The email subject line MUST include in the title of email the following to be considered: „Country Director and Project Manager”.